Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Digging Deep

I apologize for my lack-of-post last week. I’ve been dealing with a lot of emotional stuff lately. I won’t go into too much detail, but I will just say that I’m feeling very homesick. I really do wish I had the best of both worlds here. I love being in LA, the open-mindedness and general laid-back feel of all the people, the location/weather, the fact that there actually are things here to do. But I am missing friends and family. It is very possible to feel completely alone in the middle of millions of people. I’ve got friends here, but they generally are busy with their own lives, which is definitely something I’ve found to be true across the board out here. Almost everybody out here is very focused on furthering themselves and their own career (which is fine by me! I’m trying to do the same thing) but...the best way to put it is that I’ve been really having to get used to just existing here alone.

I had a severe breakdown moment like that earlier (two weeks ago) last week where all I wanted to do was come home (and who knows, I may be coming home within a year or two) because I missed, and still miss, my family and my puppies. But these things are what make me thick-skinned and stronger in the long run. Yes I am away from my family but that’s because there is nothing for me in New Phila. Yes I have very few friends, but that’s because I’m brand new out here. Yes I feel alone, but that’s because I am alone professionally and personally. I need to push myself out of my comfort zone in order to become a better, more well-rounded and experienced person!

But this past week has been full of positives! Starting with last Sunday morning, I was part of a group interview/recruiting seminar at an undisclosed company, of which I got a call back (on Tuesday) for a one-on-one interview! And also that day my mom called me and told me that my brother was named Co-Valedictorian of his graduating class! I’m so very proud of him for that accomplishment and can’t wait to see what he will do with his higher education! Maybe he will want to come out to California for his graduate studies...

And after a nice talk with Angela who gave me some tough, but needed, love about life on my own, I am feeling much better about my decision to move out here. I am feeling very optimistic about my life and future job. I am putting positive vibes out into the universe and am finding and believing in the inherent good in all people, but my personal philosophies are for another discussion. If you meditate or pray or whatever, I would appreciate any and all positive energies sent my way as well, especially tomorrow (4/19/11) at noon (3PM EST) as that is when I will be in my second interview at (insert company name here)!

Culture Shock

Okay so this isn’t so much a blatant shock of culture, but it is definitely a change. I’ve always been a fan of Disney anything. So I went to Disneyland yesterday. The nice and convenient part of being in LA is that going to Disneyland (something in the past reserved for long distance vacations) is very convenient at a half-hour drive away! So yesterday I purchased my first Disneyland Annual Passport! I can go to any park at any time I want!*


I can’t tell you how nice it is to be able to go to a phenomenal theme park like Disneyland and just take your time! It is so nice to experience the park at your own pace and not being forced to shove everything into a couple of days. Yesterday I rode four rides (California Adventure is still the best) and we spent most of our time just walking around and enjoying the park! Now, of course I can’t suggest that everyone move out here...there are enough drivers as it is. But if you ever do get a chance to live near one of the parks, get an annual pass. It pays for itself in the long run.



*Except for blackout dates which is most Saturdays excluding October


Musical Musings

The past two weeks has given me quite a bit of time to think. I’ve met people who work in the music industry and I’ve heard a lot of film music. The more I dig, the more I find that a career in film-music may not be the best fit for me. I am much more “classical” in my compositional style and I really do miss the world of classical music. A lot.

I could seriously see myself doing some composition, conducting, or even collaborative piano in grad school as opposed to film scoring. AND the beauty of that is that I can go anywhere in the country for that...which means that if I’m still not happy with LA, I can go to school somewhere else in the country. But I could also see myself doing something COMPLETELY different as well. I really do like the idea of working for myself and owning my own company, it’s just finding the right company idea to deal with (not piano lessons).

Well that about does it for this week’s update! I may be moving the weekly update to another day of the month because I’m finding that I get very busy socially on Sunday. Just keep checking back for more news and updates!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: